Results Snapshot!!

Results to date:
Coming....

Thursday, October 1, 2009

A little about the other half...

My husband’s upbringing is about as opposite from mine as can be. Opposites attract right? Michael grew up in New York City as an only child. He was raised by a single father who worked hard to provide well for his son. A trait to be commended and one that I’m glad was passed on.
I don’t know much about Michael’s struggles with weight prior to our meeting; perhaps I can bribe him into enlightening us one day. What I do know I will share.

When Michael joined the Army 10 years ago, in a matter of 4 months he dropped about 60 lbs at basic training and the man that emerged was a very thin and very built soldier. He looked amazing (swoon) and felt amazing. I have only seen pictures of how he looked back then and boy do I wish I’d met him a few years earlier. Anyway, I digress…

Michael has a family history of diabetes, heart disease, above average weight (is that the politically correct way to say that?) and a slew of other health problems. There are days when he puts all of that into perspective and he feels like a ticking time bomb waiting to go off. His family history scares Michael, though he'd only readily admit that if you asked or caught him on a day when he is in a particularly forthcoming mood. (He's a guy, what do you expect.) Since we met at the 2002 Winter Olympics, Michael has gained approximately 50 lbs. and has been trying unsuccessfully to get his weight to a point where he could re-enlist in the Army. He has dieted, gone to the gym, drunk numerous protein shakes and threatened to stop eating (I’m joking); all of which has ended within a few weeks due to unmet expectations and disappointment.

Michael is an all or nothing kind of guy. If he sees results, he’s all in. If he doesn’t see results, he’ll drop what he’s doing like a bad habit and never look back. I’m very excited to share his journey, partially because we’re a week in and boy are you in for a treat! But mostly I’m excited because I think he has a story to share (via me). You can follow his journey and likely relate because A) you a dude or B) you’re a hot chicka that wants to help her other half be or get healthy too. Stay tuned as Health Happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment