Results Snapshot!!

Results to date:
Coming....

Thursday, October 1, 2009

A little about me...

I come from a large family; the 6th of 8 kids to be exact. I was the first girl following 5 boys which means I spent my formative years watching teenage boys eat and was pretty sure I needed to eat that much too (I know... that thought scares me now too). It only made matters worse that I didn’t have an “off” switch to signal when I was full. As a young girl, that was a seriously unfortunate set of circumstances.

The summer I got a bike was apparently the summer I worked off the “girly roundness" <insert heavy sarcasm> one gets when trying to eat like someone twice her age with a totally different metabolism. As I got older, I loved soccer and ballet and being active. What I didn’t love is that I never looked like my friends. I look back at pictures now and realize that I looked like a normal girl and I just had the unfortunate luck to have two exceptionally tiny friends. But, between being constantly reminded that “girls don’t eat like that”, “you’ve probably had enough” and constantly comparing myself to my two tiny best friends, I developed a serious complex that I have carried with me for as long as I can remember.

In high school, I started to gradually gain weight and considering how busy I was both academically and socially I would get up at 4:45 a.m. to work-out and was watching everything I ate; I also found my “off” switch or at the very least learned to read the signals that told me that I’d had enough. As any girl knows, image is already a big deal at that age. You want the boy to notice you, like you… date you and I was slowly gaining weight despite all my efforts. I was so discouraged! It was the Christmas of my freshman year in college that I found out why. I had Type II diabetes. I probably actually had insulin resistance to begin with, which would explain the unwanted weight gain during high school; but not only did I not know to watch for the signs; it wasn’t something that was diagnosed as prevalently as it is now.

I began studying nutrition and declared my major in Community Health Education with an emphasis on Health Promotion. My desire and motivation was that I wanted help others, specifically those that been through the struggle with weight. My career ended up in Human Resources with Corporate Wellness programs being one of many job functions.

In the years since college, I have become a wife and mother and have continued to grow professionally. Unfortunately, this also put me in the rut that many women find themselves in… my life became about other people. Although I have the knowledge and background, my health has taken a back seat for the past 10 years… that is, until now. It isn't easy for me to be so open about my past struggles and I venture to guess that there will be more ups and downs in my future, many of which I will probably struggle to want to share. That being said, I have learned the hard way that being open and honest is very freeing and even more importantly this blog isn't really about me. It's about you! Let my experiences be the ones to help and motivate you. Join me on my journey to Health Happening!

No comments:

Post a Comment