Results Snapshot!!

Results to date:
Coming....

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Hydration...

"Where there is water, there is life!"

We all know we should drink water, but do we know all the reasons why? I thought I'd do a little research so we all knew the fundamental reasons why water is essential.

Water is one of the most essential components of our bodies and makes up about 60 percent of our body weight so without it you would only survive a few days. The brain is composed of 7o percent water, and the lungs are nearly 90 percent water. About 83 percent of our blood is water, which helps digest our food, transport waste and control body temperature. Water also helps to cushion and protect vital organs. Each day we must replace 2.4 liters of water so as you can see... drinking water is vitally important.

You do get water from other beverages you drink and some from food, but water is calorie free, caffeine free, sodium free... you just get the water that is so important for every day bodily functions. During my nightly workout I can feel a huge difference on a day I drank soda as opposed to a day that I stuck to my water. When I've been drinking soda, I feel sluggish and I feel like I'm working extra hard doing the same things I normally do. I really hate that feeling, so I really have to weigh how much I miss soda before I drink it.

It is important to drink even before signs of thirst appear. Thirst is a signal that your body is already on the way to dehydration. Inadequate intake of water compromises cell functions and effects electrolyte levels, proper blood composition and body temperature regulation. It is easy to prevent dehydration, so drink up!! To prevent dehydration, a minimum of 8 glasses of water must be consumed daily. Go here for a calculator to help you know how much water you should be drinking.

During exercise, water is the best fluid replenisher for more individuals, although sports drinks help replace lost electrolytes during high intensity exercise exceeding 45 to 60 minutes.

Hydration Hints for Exercise:
  • • Drink 17-20 ounces of water two to three hours before the start of exercise.
  • • Drink 8 ounces of fluid 20 to 30 minutes prior to exercise or during warm-up.
  • • Drink 7-10 ounces of fluid every 10 to 20 minutes during exercise.
  • • Drink an additional 8 ounces of fluid within 30 minutes after exercising.
  • • Drink 16-24 ounces of fluid for every pound of body weight lost after exercise. Hint: Rehydration occurs faster in the presence of sodium, regardless of whether this is provided in a sports drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment